Fletchers House Rye Logo
John Fletcher Rye
Gay Pride Flag
Gay Pride Flag
Main Chamber at Fletchers House Restaurant
Fletchers House next to St Mary's Church
Fletchers House Restaurat in Rye
Fletchers House was once the Vicarage and the home of Jacobean playwright John Fletcher who was born in the house in 1579
About John Fletcher 1579-1625

John Fletcher, the English dramatist was born in Rye, Sussex, the third son of a clergyman who later became a Bishop of London. Fletcher collaborated with several playwrights including Shakespeare, Beaumont, Massinger and Rowley. Fletcher was closely assocated with Beaumont and their dramatic works compiled in 1647 contained 35 pieces' another folio published in 1679 - 52 works. Modern research finds Beaumont's hand in only about 10 plays - the rest therefore attributed to Fletcher. A group has set up to bring renaisssance productions to Rye which celebrate the life of John Fletcher. See www.fletchertheatre.co.uk for latest events and more details.

Fletchers House - History of the Building

Fletchers House was the old Vicarage, wholly or partly rebuilt in 1707. The architecturally stunning south front of Fletcher's - sadly long lost to view - dating from the late 1400's, and contemporary with the much acclaimed St Anthony's on the other side of the Churchyard, faced the North Door of the Church across an area of open ground, possibly part of the Churchyard, at the head of Lion Street. At its centre is an important Tudor doorway ornamented with carved York and Tudor Roses and foliage. All trace of the door has been covered in the present interior , but it is certainly thought that Dr Richard Fletcher would have gone to reach St Marys. (extracted from research by Rye Local History Group)

Visitors to the house are able to see and enjoy the fine dragon beams at the eastern end of the ground floor, together with a large Inglenook fireplace and some very early glass in the main chamber. Upstairs, in the Oak Room, splendind timbers are still exposed to the full roof height and the free standing chimney can be seen as it rises some 25 feet to its exit through the roof. At the head of the stairs is displayed a 17th Century edition of the "The Two Noble Kinsmen" open at its title page.

"The Fletcher's Ghost

Pete and Lee have heard but not seen "the Fletcher's Ghost", but over the years many have felt the presence and described an old man dressed in Victorian top hat and tails. When the man disappears he leaves behind tiny dots in primary colours which slowly disperse. This is apparently a sign of a good spirit rather than a poltergeist.







Tel 01797 222227
Fletchers House was partly re-fronted in 1701 though the Ancient Vicarage is still in a good State of Preservation with Beautiful half timbered Oak Rooms

Fletchers House, 2 Lion Street, Rye,TN31 7LB Tel: 01797 222227. Email info@fletchershouse.co.uk
Beautiful early glass in the "main chamber" - now the restaurant.